Making a complaint



Anyone who is employed in Australia has the right to make a complaint against their employer wihout being persecuted or having their employment terminated

You can make a complaint to us if you’re a member of our union. Your employer can’t end or threaten your employment because you’ve made a complaint to us about your employer.

If you are not a member of the AWU you must join the union before we can help you with any workplace dispute.

Before you make a complaint to us, it’s usually a good idea to talk to your employer (or former employer) first. Mistakes happen and employers usually want to fix them quickly. Make sure you take note of formally raising your concern with your employer in writing.

All awards and enterprise agreements have a dispute resolution procedure for resolving issues at work. If you are an AWU member you should contact us to help you discuss the dispute resolution procedure applicable to your workplace.

We may be able to help you if you think you’re:
  • not being paid the right amount
  • not getting the right amount of leave or other conditions you’re entitled to
  • being forced to do things against your will
  • being threatened by your employer
  • being discriminated against
  • in a sham contract
  • Unfairly or unlawfully dismissed
  • being bullied or harassed at work
  • not being paid superannuation or if you haven’t received a payment summary